Lots of language links this month!
- The world’s most universal word: huh. Huh?
- What languages sound like to foreigners. As someone who hears but doesn’t speak a lot of languages, this seems pretty spot on.
- “Word Search” – an essay on learning a new language and collecting words from around the world.
- Where do English words come from? This article runs the numbers.
- 15 different Irish accents, compared
Ballad of a WiFi Hero: a modern epic
When humans die out, cockroaches will rule the Earth. What takes over when the cockroaches kick the bucket? Tardigrades.
Game of Thrones Season 4 starts April 6! Here’s a 9-minute recap of the last three seasons, if your memory is fuzzy. And for the bookworms, here’s a chapter from Book 6: The Winds of Winter!
Aesop’s lesser fables
IBM’s Watson is bored with Jeopardy and taking up cooking instead.
How can the U.S. Government save $400 million a year? Change font.
How big is the universe? I’m still not sure I can really grasp something that big, but this helps: